How is February over already? And how are we already halfway through winter term? I need to try not to think about this too much. But, as usual, I’m wrapping up the month by linking up with Leigh Kramer to share some of what I’ve been into this month.
The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith. This was the latest instalment in the Number 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency books, and as charming as ever. I’m still bummed that BBC cancelled the tv show adaptation after 1 season.
Cress by Marissa Meyer. This is book three in a series called The Lunar Chronicles, which is a series of sci-fi adaptations of fairy tales. I’m not much for sci-fi, but I do love fairy tales, and Aaron’s the other way around, so this is a series we can both enjoy together. The premise sounds a bit lame, I know, but I’ve really been enjoying them.
Champion by Marie Lu. This is book three in Marie Lu’s Legend series, which I started in the summer and loved. I won’t give away the ending or anything, but I am glad I finally got my hands on book 3.
- Binge-watching: Veronica Mars (just finished, so pumped for the movie!) and Gilmore Girls (we’re on season 7, and starting to get bummed about the fact that none of the characters except for Logan and Mrs. Kim have shown any growth since season 1. Also, I would totally be up for a spinoff show about Lane and Zach).
- Keeping up on: Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory (go Amy Farrah Fowler!), Community, Modern Family, and Call the Midwife (Chummy’s back :D).
- Slumdog Millionnaire: watched this one for the first time on the plane home from Germany at the beginning of the month. I’m a sucker for the trivia show as a plotline, although this is much darker than E.L. Konigsburg’s The View From Saturday.
- A Goofy Movie: one of my favourites. We went over to friends’ for an afternoon of Disney movies, and this was my pick because Powerline.
- The Great Mouse Detectives: Our friends’ pick for the Disney movie afternoon. I hadn’t actually seen it before, but it was pretty adorable.
So many favourite new recipes this month! I loved these chocolate and pistachio sliced cookies, and this hachis parmentier (French shepherd’s pie, way better than the original) was to die for. And this Moroccan-spiced chicken with pistachio lemon couscous was absolutely amazing (and dairy-free,Leigh) and my husband was a huge fan of this pasta al pomodoro recipe. You can find these and all my other favourites over on my What I’m Into Pinterest board for the month.
Just one musical obsession for the month: while in Germany, I heard a few songs from a group called Glaubenszentrum (think German Hillsong). Anyway, I loved their stuff, and I’ve been listening to their Gott und König (God and King) CD pretty obsessively since I got back. It’s also had the side effect of improving my grasp on German grammar.
- As I’ve alluded to, I made a brief trip to Germany at the end of January/Beginning of February to attend my grandfather’s funeral and see the rest of my family. I was glad I could be there, but it went too fast. I’m happy to say that my family and I have plans to go again in the summer, so I’ll be able to spend more time with everyone, and maybe even take a few days to see some favourite historical sites.
- I got to preach again this month. I was pretty much all over the place with my preparation, and had to cut out about three ideas that were too complicated to pull off in the time I had, but it went well. I’m so grateful to belong to a church that allows me the opportunity to preach (and grateful that I don’t have to do it every week, because it’s a lot of work. Props to the pastors who do).
- And, on the cross-stitch front, I’ve been obsessed with the Pixel People patterns from the Wee Little Stiches shop on Etsy. Here’s what I’ve finished so far, please excuse the terrible photography, and please forgive me if you start quoting The Princess Bride and can’t stop. That happened to me too while I was making it.:
Anna is my own design, I got tired of waiting for the pattern to be updated (it has been now, and you get both Anna and Elsa in their iconic outfits)
That’s it for me for February, be sure to head over to Leigh’s and check out everyone else’s submissions.