I’m a big fan of desserts that are cute but require a minimum of artistic talent to decorate, so when I saw this recipe online a few months back I was definitely up for giving it a try. I got my chance to give it a try yesterday, when my sister Johanna came over for the day. This was a lot of fun (and super easy) to make together.
- A dozen cupcakes (I made them chocolate, but you could make pretty much any kind, really)
- A container of frosting (or some homemade buttercream frosting), plus enough red and yellow food dye to tint it roughly the same shade as nacho cheese
- A flour tortilla sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, and cut into corn-chip-sized triangles. Bake these at 425 for 5 minutes. You’ll likely want to use parchment paper.
- Some raspberry or strawberry jam or preserves
- Green straw candy (I used Twizzlers) thinly sliced
To assemble, simply squirt icing generously onto each cupcake (it doesn’t even have to be terribly neat, as you’re approximating squirt cheese). Then stick a few tortilla wedges into each cupcake to approximate corn chips. Spoon some preserves overtop to resemble, salsa, and sprinkle with your candy “jalapenos.” Enjoy 🙂 You can even arrange the cupcakes on a platter to approximate a plate of nachos.